Friday, April 17, 2009

Believing a Lie

'''I will scatter you like chaff driven by the desert wind. This is your lot, the portion I have decreed for you,' declares the LORD, 'because you have forgotten me and trusted in false gods.'"1
Ravi Zacharias in "A Slice of Infinity" shares how he was invited to participate in a discussion with six Russian generals (all of whom but one were atheists) at the Lenin Military Academy in Moscow.
Zacharias reported, "As the conversation unfolded from early unease through robust argumentation all the way to our warm conclusion, something incredible happened. One by one, each of these generals conceded that Russia was now in a pathetic state, not just economically but morally. As the men stood to bid us good-bye, the senior-ranking general grasped my hand and said, 'Dr. Zacharias, I believe what you have brought us is the truth. But it is so hard to change after seventy years of believing a lie.'"2
Again I recall the words of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, the Russian-born Nobel Prize winner for literature(1970), who said, "Over half a century ago while I was still a child, I recall hearing a number of older people offer the following explanation for the great disasters that had befallen Russia: 'Men have forgotten God, that's why all this has happened.'"
How tragic when nations forget God and exchange the truth for a lie. Over and over again history records the results of those nations who forgot the one true God and believed a lie. And it's happening today in the world in which you and I live.
Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to be a messenger of grace and truth in all that I am, do, and say—and help me to live it first so that others seeing your love flowing through me will want your Truth and love for themselves. And please save our nation from believing a lie about you and the devastation that believing a lie causes. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."
1. Jeremiah 13:24-25 (NIV).
2. Ravi Zacharias, "Believing A Lie, Believing The Truth" Copyright (c) 2001 Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (RZIM) in "A Slice of Infinity" http://www.sliceofinfinity.org.
<:((((><

1 comment:

pam said...

wow, did you capture this picture yourself? looks great - like a pair of eyes watching from the clouds.